Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: So, I'm New...

  1. #1
    Inactive Member White Rose Assassin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11th, 2006
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi! I'm Victoria of San Francisco, CA!

    I've been a fan of American Girl since 1991. I started reading the books in second grade. I can say it's what really got me into history. My first doll was Molly back in Spring of 1992 followed by Felicity in 1993. I also have one of the first editions of Girl of Today back in 1996 (AGT15) and I decided she would be a pinay named Mimi.

    Now it's 2006! Wow, have I really been a fan for this long. I recently started getting back to into American Girl.

    And I still will take Felicity and Molly over Samantha anyday! ^^

    I was just as AG Place in New York last week. It wasn't what I expected it to be, but hey, it was still a great shopping spree. I scored an AGT25 and named her Chloe (she had that "take me home" look on her face). I got tons of AG today stuff for Chloe.

    Currently, I'm using Chloe as my inspiration for a project I'm working on, which I'll keep you guys updated with later if you guys are interested. I really want to have a Historical Asian American Girl out there. I just think we're really missing one. It's also hard to define a time period where Asian Americans were most prominent, especially for girls. The first thing one would say is 1850s California, but it was more of a bachelor society than a family society. The easiest would be if the girl would be during the Vietnam War and coming to America as a boat person in the mid 1970s. I'm an Asian American studies minor, so I really like testing all of this out. ^^

    Anyways, I really hope I'll enjoy it here!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Dancing_Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2006
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Welcom to the board! You will have a lot of fun. Everyone here is great!

  3. #3
    Felicity_Fan85
    Guest Felicity_Fan85's Avatar

    Post

    Welcome to the board, Victoria! Do you have any pictures of your dolls? I'd love to learn more about your project [img]wink.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member White Rose Assassin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11th, 2006
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I will post pictures of my dolls once I have free time. Work and school consume me. However, my avatar is a picture of my Chloe in a Vietnamese ao dai.

    I'll also post pictures of my recent trip to AG Place when I was in New York last week. I felt so old, but I was still giddy over all the AG stuff. I'm plotting to hit AG Place LA sometime at the end of this month. ^^

  5. #5
    Inactive Member robin0850's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2005
    Posts
    1,270
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Welcome to the board!!! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    Maybe I'll see you at AGPLA (June 10th!) [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Joyfulone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9th, 2006
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, nice to meet you!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member TaffyCheerful's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2002
    Posts
    544
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by White Rose Assassin:
    I'll also post pictures of my recent trip to AG Place when I was in New York last week. I felt so old, but I was still giddy over all the AG stuff.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't worry. You are very far from being the oldest one here and we all enjoy our dolls....

    Taffy

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 11, 2006 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Taffy Cheerful ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Magdalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2005
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yay! Another Northern California person ^^ Anyway welcome...

  9. #9
    Inactive Member White Rose Assassin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11th, 2006
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    AsianAG: I'll be there the week before! (and possible July 4th-ish weekend or August-ish, I make monthly visits to LA) ;_;

    Taffy: It's just really funny when I'm at AG Place and I'm towering tons of little kiddies.

    I'm liking it here. ^^

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Kenshinchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2006
    Posts
    1,024
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Welcome! Nice to meet you!

    I know at least one board member (forgot the name, sorry ^^; ) is working on making Jess into her own Asian American girl around the time of the 1940s internment camps.

    If you don't want to overlap any of the existing time periods for the AGs (for example, the 1850s are already "blocked" by Kirsten, to some people), you could choose a year that isn't so obviously associated with Asians. For instance, maybe a girl in the 1910s or 1920s, who came in to America at Angel Island--her father may have worked in San Francisco but not been a citizen, but the earthquake of 1906 destroyed all the records, so suddenly anyone in the area could claim to be a citizen, and the government couldn't prove otherwise. (Although I can see where people can think that's a pretty morally ambiguous premise....) But of course children of American citizens would be citizens too. http://www.pbs.org/becomingamerican/ap_prog2.html has some info.

    Just a thought, though! Whatever you do, welcome! If you do wind up making an Asian American Girl doll, please keep us updated; I know a lot of us are interested in any sort of "new" historical, even if she's made by our members. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •